Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Wonder, attentiveness, the Beginning of Contemplation

I am not a learned philosopher or thinker- just an ordinary human being who hopes for union with God.  Like a child I must begin with love and trust and move forward as God permits.  I begin with the things I see, the place where I am rooted, in my desire to please God.  I look around and see the beauty of creation; I see with eyes given by the Creator.  My human intelligence tells me it is good; my will acknowledges creation does not come forth from me, is to be used not for my personal benefit, but for the good of all.  Most days this is as far as I am able to go.

Yet I wonder.  Having a questing spirit, I move from the reality of sight and sound into the recesses of the intellect where I begin to “see” the reality of God and how He perceives people and thoughts.   Wonder explores faith and truth, not losing the reality of earth.  Wonder moves one closer to God and away from earthly places and thoughts.  It is like being in two places at one time- your hands and feet are in one place, your mind and heart in another place.  As the water washes away the thoughts drawn in the sand by a stick, I wonder,  “Is this how God washes away the sins I have committed?”

Simone Weil calls the next step attention-“concentrated attention” that leads one to truth and fulfillment. One has to long for truth and perpetually concentrate all his attention upon its attainment.  It is suspending our thoughts, relaxing our muscles laying all prejudices, distractions aside, “waiting with expectancy.”   That is easier said than done and requires one to focus only on Him, the Christ, the Teacher, the Beloved.  She says this is the heart of prayer.   Is this not what one does during Adoration?  Isn’t this our focus?  Is not adoration placing our entire being with Him and listening to Him with prayerful love?

Practice begins with our “active listening” (my concept) to another.  Really listening is an art that is learned.  It begins with children listening to parents with love and trust.  Only 20 percent of what we hear do we retain and absorb.  At Mills Institute in the 60’s experiments tried to see how this number could be increased.  Retention through listening alone is highest immediately after listening to instruction.  Children listen to instruction by a parent and immediately comply; yet soon forget. Instruction must be given again and yet again for full compliance.  As adults we listen to homilies by a priest whom we know is believable. Soon we forget and truths must be told again and yet again.  Only by practicing truths can our cognition be improved and retained.

Another technique is touch-like writing on sand which has texture, especially against sensitive areas of fingertips.  Pencil on paper does not have the same effect. When we touch, meditate on rosary beads in a quiet setting, we find we understand the mysteries of the rosary.

Active listening applies to our relationship with others.  Simone Weil expands; she says one must give full attention to each one’s unique personality.  By spending time understanding where the other person is coming from, one is able to fully and truly hear the other.  It is speaking to someone without “ourself” being seen.  Most talk to each other as if there is a mirror between them, reflecting back my thoughts, my prejudices.   Truly listening to another-this is true charity, truly a miracle, as it is seldom done.

Contemplation is the fulfillment of all the prep work which has gone on in one’s life; it is a glimpse of something ethereal; it lasts only momentarily, though one wishes it would last longer. It cannot be recaptured by my will; it is a gift.  It is a journey with a happy ending.



1 comment: