Blog Archive

Sunday, December 7, 2014

            “Command me to come to you on the water” (Matt14:28)


Jesus beckons all many times to come, to follow, to love, to live with Him- from infancy in Baptism when others answer for us, to death, when we must again choose to follow Him to eternal life.  Sometimes we respond with vigor and determination as did Peter when Christ says, “Come follow me and I will make you fishers of men.”(Matt 4:19))  It is a radical charge for an ordinary man; no explanation of what that would entail.   It could only be a divine calling of faith and grace.


What did Christ see in Peter’s heart?  He saw a disciplined fisherman, patient and hardworking.  He sees these qualities and transforms Peter’s response into action, into the work Peter was to do.   It is the same with us; He sees our unique qualities and transforms our work.

Now we see Peter, a mere man like us, who can become fatigued, frustrated, unsure, questioning.  The waves of the sea tossing him about, the stormy situations of life we all face, again becomes an occasion of choice, a choice of faith or disbelief.  Peter, like us at times, allows fear to overcome faith; we choose to take our eyes off Jesus. “Take courage, it is I.”  (Matt4:27)  He says this to reassure us. Our response can only be, “Lord, save me.”(Matt14:30)  We are no longer in control, no longer able to move without Christ.  “We call out: Help me in my unbelief; help me to understand and remember in the future, help me in my time of testing.

Christ stretches out His hand to give us what we need:  grace to strengthen our will, Eucharistic food for the journey.  He is not indifferent to our lack of faith, even when we are distant from Him.

This is the challenge of Christian life: to follow Him faithfully. This is our life when we choose to sail with Christ.  Our journey necessitates humility, trusting in His goodness and mercy, to make Him the compass of our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment