Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Mary’s Lifetime of Hours
I am His Mother.  Thirty-four years ago I said “Yes” to the Father’s plan of salvation. I have been faithful, have loved and nourished my little one, even as I knew I must suffer.  (Luke 2:34-35)  And Simeon blessed them and said to Mary His Mother, ”Behold, this child is appointed for the fall and rise of many in Israel and for a sign to be opposed… and a sword will pierce even your own soul… to the end that thoughts from many hearts may be revealed.”
Joseph and I thought we had lost him when he was twelve, but he was teaching in the temple.  He knew his mission. “How is it that you sought me?  Did you not know I must be in my Father’s house?” (Lk2:49)  We did not understand, but you came back with us to Nazareth and I kept all these things in my heart.
 Learning your earthly father’s carpentry skill and my Hebrew teaching the lessons of the Torah were sufficient for you until you were about thirty.  At Cana you knew your hour was not yet; still you changed water into wine so the young couple being married would not be embarrassed.  I am glad I asked you for this favor; I knew you would do whatever I asked.  Jesus always thought of the welfare of others- especially he wanted them to enjoy eternal life with the Father. 
To see Jesus suffer now is hard. In silence and prayer we are joined; I walk with him on this final journey.  “At the cross her station keeping, stood the mournful Mother weeping.  Close to Jesus to the last.” (4th Station of the Cross)
Even on the cross He thinks of others.  Knowing my loss would make me inconsolable, He gives John to me and me to John.  I will be mother to the entire human race, to continue his work of making the Father known to all.
For the last time I will wrap my arms around his lifeless body, yet believing in three days He will rise again.  In his death lies the promise of life; in His Death and Resurrection lies our redemption.  Death is healing; I understand; I believe.  Jesus, my Son, I love you.
“Give your hearts to my Son, all emptied, thirsting, and turned solely toward him, wholly unoccupied with yourself.  You have met him many times, but you did not know it, because your anxieties, and thoughts were not concerned with this unique love.  Oh, how sad it is for my Son to seek with so great a desire a loving look from one who remains distracted, dreaming, or even laughing with the foolishness and dissipation of the world.”  Mother Marie des Douleurs



No comments:

Post a Comment