Blog Archive

Monday, December 22, 2014

My Search for Mercy

I, myself, do not have a clear picture of mercy, something that when I see it, I will immediately know: mercy. I also don't have a picture showing mercy. I knew I would have "to study" mercy. 

I looked to the readings on that Sunday, and thought," Good. I don't have to acknowledge and write about mercy because the main focus of the reading is "Peace be with you." I still was not satisfied.
I asked friends, "Give me your idea of mercy and how you show it." None had a picture, yet all had good examples of what mercy is: something we do not deserve; something from someone greater than ourselves. Some said to show mercy, one has to give it without any expectation of reward.
Maybe our world and our culture condition us not to expect mercy. We don’t usually do favors unless something in return is given. When the Governor extends clemency, it makes headlines. When President Ford granted immunity to Nixon, everyone questioned his motives. 

Life moves on, I could not shake the knowledge I did not understand a five letter word: mercy. I read more, I questioned others, I prayed, and finally I just offered it to God as a mystery I would never see. 

Suddenly during Mass, out of the blue, around the consecration, it finally came- the vision of mercy: 

Jesus nailed to the cross is looking down on to the world. It is just flowing, no words, or sounds of pain or horror, just giving. It is Christ giving His all, not just His body with the scourges, the cross of thorns, the hands affixed to the wood; His mind and soul on the Father. It is a picture of Christ’s side with blood and water flowing out, flowing freely down from and feet with nails. Not just His body, precious though that is, but His insides, everything that He is. He does not beg us to love Him, He just is; open and accepting of whatever happens, whatever we decide to do. Nothing is hidden, nothing is left out; all is given. 

I know it; I feel it; I believe it. Like the apostles I must give up fishing, and go share the Good News.




No comments:

Post a Comment