Blog Archive

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Peter’s Great Declaration of Faith

Into the region of Caesarea Philippi come Jesus and His disciples, a region noted for Baal gods of worship and statues of Caesar depicting him as a god. Against this setting, Jesus needs to have the full support of His followers; He needs to know they truly believe Him. A seemingly innocent question, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” (Matt 16:14) leads to a deeper, more personal question: “But who do you say that I am?”(Mat16:15)

Peter unhesitatingly replies: ”You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”(Mat 16:16) Peter has come to know the person of Jesus: he knows He is someone more than the prophets; He has seen Christ come to his help as Peter was threatened with death by drowning, He listens with his eyes and ears open to Christ’s teachings: he watches Christ’s prayer life with the Father; these actions strengthen Peter’s faith. God’s gift of grace prompts Peter’s reply.

Peter’s faith now equals to or is greater than the Canaanite woman. God’s plan for Peter’s life as head of His church can now proceed. He can now become the rock. Peter has already hit rock bottom; he realizes he has risen with Christ’s saving help; therefore he can show the path of salvation to others. Peter and the other disciples still have much to learn: the real meaning of the Messiah’s mission, to learn about Christ’s suffering and death, to learn of Christ’s absolute love for man.

Each man too must ask, “Who is Christ to me?” Is He present in my life? Is His message reflected in my life? Do I seek to know His will for me? Do my actions make me a living temple where Christ can dwell?? Is my faith seen in my actions? Will Christ call me “blessed”? Can I answer with great faith, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God”?




No comments:

Post a Comment